Second Header(2)

Southwestern Chili


Yay to the weekend. To pumpkin patches, to corn mazes, to hayrides... I love fall. But it feels like the dead of winter here >.<  I checked the weather this morning and it said 0 Celsius. Omgee (also yes, I still use celsius because I'm civilized and I had British schooling all my life). That is the coldest it can ever get in Hong Kong (where I grew up) or LA. I'm used to either tropical or desert weather. I feel like whipping out my Uggs, but everyone would find me absolutely ridiculous. Why is everyone so opposed to Uggs? Actually, throughout high school I was so adamant about never wearing those hideous sheep clogs and swore to all my friends that I'd rather amputate my legs than be seen wearing them.  BBBuuuuutt, that was when I lived in Hong Kong. Now, if I don't wear them in the East Coast, my toes will fall off and I will probably really have to amputate my foot.

I digress... :) To battle the cold, I made something nice and warm, stick-to-your ribs chili. Delicious with some home-made cornbread.



Southwestern Chili

makes 4-6 servings

Ingredients
1 yellow onion, diced
2 jalapeños, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, chopped into 1inch squares
1 pound lean ground beef

1 can diced tomatoes (and juices)
1 can tomato sauce
1.5 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili flakes
1/2 cup water

1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1.5 cups frozen or fresh corn
Juice of 1 lime and zest (optional)
  1. Add ~2 tbsp of oil into a deep pot and saute the onions, jalapeños, garlic and pepper (high heat)
  2. When the onions have turned a little translucent, add in the beef, cook until browned
  3. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and all the spices
  4. Stir everything and add enough water to cover (~1/2 cup), simmer on low heat for 45 minutes
  5. Add the beans, frozen corn, simmer for another 15 minutes and add the lime juice and zest
  6. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese and green onions!



No comments :

Post a Comment

Template Design By Baby in Heels