23 April 2014

Custard Creme Puffs (Beard Papa style)


I am a serial worry wart. I must be the largest, most crumbly and flaky worry wart you'll ever meet (ewww but true :\). I constantly worry about stuff at least 10 years into the future and 5-10 years in the past. If I don't have anything to worry about, that's a big worry too! I'm surprised I don't have any white hairs, or even any hair.

Currently, we have all these 4th year medical students matched to their residences doing Q and A sessions. Total mistake to attend any of these, especially when they serve strong coffee and sugary pastries. I'm already stressing about what I want to do (which is I HAVE NO IDEA), while extremely jittery from coffee and sugar. I think I may have stress ate 2 cookies and 3 danishes (maybe not think... I did :P). I like to rant, but the internet hears me out haha.

I'm sharing these creme puffs I made a while ago. Their pillowy softness and creamy centers just mellow me out. You know?! Already feeling zen...


Custard Creme Puffs


Makes 10-12 large puffs

Pate a Choux link from an old blog post

Custard Cream Filling
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
3 cups whole milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp butter

Chocolate Ganache Topping
4oz bittersweet chocolate (~60%)
1/2 cup heavy cream

  1. In a pot, all the custard cream ingredients except for the butter. Whisk until all combined (or you can blend it a little and put in a pot)
  2. Heat over medium fire, stir the pot often with a whisk so you don't burn the bottom. The custard should thicken until bubbles start popping up the top. This takes a while so be patient!
  3. Remove from heat and stir in the butter. Place plastic wrap directly on the custard to prevent a skin from forming and allow to cool outside before placing it in the fridge.
  4. Make Choux
  5. Once cold, pipe into your creme puffs. Or cut puffs and spoon in (or spoon directly into your mouth :D)
  6. For the ganache topping: microwave the chocolate and heavy cream in 5-10sec spurts until it is smooth. Takes maybe 40-50secs. Watch for it so it doesn't burn! Pour a little over creme puffs when it cools a little.



4 comments :

  1. Med students are THE WORST when it comes to imparting stress. Just ignore them! I still have no idea what I want to do either. other than eat these creme puffs. Of this, I am absolutely certain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yes. Definitely need to stop feeding each other stress! I hope cream puffs become the new macarons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no ganache recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello there. Oops
    you can just melt 4 oz of chocolate with 1/2 cup of heavy cream. I usually just microwave this in spurts. But it will burn quickly, so you will have to watch it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...